Birthday Reminder For Symbian S60 5th Edition
Upset with the lack of a birthday reminder in my Nokia 5800's calendar
application, I wrote this PyS60
program to automatically enter my contacts' birthdays in the calendar
application. It is based on birthwatch by Floriano Scioscia
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
- July 17, 2010: updated the .sis file to PyS60 V2.0, updated the installation instructions
For questions, contact me at email@example.com, where firstname and lastname should be rather obvious.
- Install PyS60 Version 1.9.7. If you want to use 1.4.x, you need to "ensymble" birth.py yourself.
- Download the .sis file. I did not get to test this version yet, so be careful
- Copy birth.sis to the phone, e.g. using bluetooth file transfer.
- Instead of copying the .sis file from the step above, you might instead
- download the source .tgz from here. It contains birth.sis "ensymble'd" with PyS60 2.0.0, birth.py and the svg graphics for the program icon as well as various versions of the .sis file.
- "ensymble" birth.py with the python version installed on your phone using
python2.5 ./ensymble.py py2sis --icon=birthday_cake2.svgt --appname=birth birth.py birth.sis
The program takes quite some time to start up as it needs to scan the calendar for birthdays. This takes significantly longer than the time that the appuifw.note('scanning calendar') is displayed, so be patient.
The application itself is rather simple. After the program starts, there will be two tabs, "new" and "old".
Entries in "new" are contacts whose birthdays have not yet been entered in the calendar. Pressing the Option softkey will allow you to add one entry or all entries. The option "multiple entries" has not been implemented yet.
Entries in "old" are contacts whose birthdays are already in the calendar. Pressing the Option softkey will allow you to remove the highlighted entry from the calendar.
Once you are done, press the Exit softkey. Enjoy!
- If either all or no contacts already are in the calendar, the "empty" page has a white background. PyS60 V1.9.7 does not support changing the background color of appuifw.Text. Might try to use a canvas if I find the time. Maybe Python V2.0 does it? Still need to test it.